So I went out of town last weekend for Labor Day and I was worried because I didn’t have to to buy those self watering probes that you leave in the plant’s soil.
My only other option was to look up any DIY watering options. I went to YouTube and found a great method!
-Shallow pan (I used a baking pan)
-plastic bottle with cap (1-2 liter soda bottle)
-knife or scissors
1. Fill plastic bottle with water about half way and put on the bottle cap
2. Arrange all your plants onto shallow pan leaving room for the plastic bottle
3. Find a safe place for the shallow pan where the plants will get the amount of sunlight or indirect sunlight needed (depending on the plant)
4. Turn plastic bottle upside down and use knife/scissors to carefully cut open a small hole (about 1/2 cm) into the bottom of the bottle
5. Slowly turn plastic bottle right side up onto the shallow pan.
6. Loosen the bottle cap slightly so the water in the bottle can come out easily.
And that’s it!
Since mine don’t need to be watered that often (I have aloe vera, pothos, and snake plants) I just filled the bottom of the shallow pan with water instead of leaving the bottle with water on the pan with the plants.
And when I came back home from my weekend trip, their soil was very moist from soaking up the water in the pan! I was super happy that it worked out! 😊